Thursday, June 19, 2014

10 Reasons Why Summer is a Betch: According to a Lymie

1. Man it's hot outside! 
"It's too darn hot! It's too darn hot!" Sorry if I broke out into song, but who likes sitting outside or even in a car going to doctor's appointments when it is 80 degrees or higher outside?! NOT ME! Granted my joint pain feels slightly better in the warmer weather, but you won't see me being a "happy camper" in the summer screaming "I'm pain free!" No one likes sweating and feeling gross, when it's really hot outside!  If you have a picc line or a port, the WORST feeling is when your bandage starts to itch from the heat!  It feels like worms are crawling under your skin! I suggest putting an ice pack near the picc/port site.  This ends up numbing the surrounding area.




2. Inability to go swimming with a picc line or when your port is accessed
Part of summer is going swimming in a pool or floating in the ocean!  I am a beach bum and don't get me wrong, I love sitting watching the waves under my umbrella, but when you're sweating and you can't go in the water because you have a picc line or your port is accessed, it's not the idea situation. Yes, you can put your feet in and even your legs in, while making sure your picc/port site won't get wet.  If you're daring, you can even float on a raft in a pool, but I wouldn't risk it!  It's hard when you see everyone else smiling, laughing, and being normal without a care in the world, when you are trying not to lose your mind from heat stroke. (Mother's voice chimes in "drink plenty of water!)  I know my picc line is my "highway to health," but it's so hard in that moment and not wish that this was a bad nightmare!



3. Everyone else is having fun, while you are home in pain
The worst part about summer is everyone is taking pictures and "selfies" of all the fun things they do, especially on the weekend, like going to the beach and attending concerts.  It's horrible how Lyme literally just took over my body and made me into a couch potato.  Who wants a life like this?! Yes, I know "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," but it is nearly impossible not to be jealous of people who get to have fun, especially when you're home writhing in pain, lethargic, and doing endless IVs.  What I wouldn't give to be pain free for even just a half hour or a few minutes, but Lyme doesn't seem to give me any kind of a break these days.




4. Your summer attire consists of comfy clothes and not chic summer clothes
My attire consists of comfy yoga pants and a t-shirt, but once it becomes warmer outside I'll upgrade to comfy capris or shorts.  I love looking through Lucky and other fashion magazines and seeing what the latest trends are, but of course I don't buy anything because where would I wear it...a doctor's appointment?! Don't get me wrong, I will buy cute shirts from Abercrombie & Fitch, on sale of course, because I want to feel somewhat "normal," and on a "good day" I'll even wear a pair of jeggings.  Lymies, jeggings will be your best friend because they are soft, stretchy, and feel like leggings! The brand I wear are Levis, and if you buy them at Kohl's with a coupon then they are much more reasonable!

The one thing that I do ROCK in the summer are a pair of big sunglasses and flip flops! My best kept hidden secret for those who suffer from plantar fasciitis are wearing sandals from the following brands:  Orthaheel and Tony Little Cheeks.  Both of these shoes have great foot beds and are a little piece of heaven for my feet!  Orthaheel actually has a built in orthotic in the shoe! The brand has tons of cute, chic sandals available! Even though they are pricey, it is worthwhile to buy a pair because your feet will thank you, especially your arches! You can buy Orthaheel at QVC.com.  Now I know what you're thinking...Tony Little makes shoes? You bet the man who rocks the hat with the pony tail does, and his flip flops are also reasonable at HSN.com.  The pair below is a great buy because you get two for the price of 1!  Your feet will definitely love the gel arch support and the summer fun colors! http://www.hsn.com/products/tony-little-cheeks-healthy-lifestyle-sandal-2-pack/7417417
Don't forgot to wear sunscreen and a cute hat to protect yourself from the sun!



5. Changes in barometric pressure
If you ever saw "Mean Girls," I am like Karen Smith, Amanda Seyfriend, because she can predict the weather, except her breasts can tell her when it's going to rain.  In my case, I get a bad migraine, my knee starts to swell, or other Lyme symptoms worsen, that usually means rain is on the way or it's about to rain.  Crazy enough, most of the time I am right! At least I know when my symptoms are flaring up, I'm not losing my mind!


6. Why is it so Humid?!
Nothing is worse than 100% humidity! Besides your hair turning into a giant mess, who wants to feel all gross, sweaty, and sticky?!  When you are outside, who wants to feel like they are in a sauna?


7. Thunderstorms
My favorite nature sound is rain, but once it starts thundering and lightening, I pray we don't lose power!  When it rains, it usually means cooler temperatures are on the way! Yes, at times it sounds like Mother Nature is bowling because the thunder is so loud! I'll admit it, sometime I even get scared a little bit, but who doesn't from a thunderstorm at one point or another?


8. Power Failures
Nothing is worse than a power failure in the summer, especially during a heat wave! However, if you rely on a refrigerator to keep your IVs cold, then a power failure is your WORST nightmare. Plus, try doing your IVs with a flash light!  It's a bad comedy!  Let's hope this summer we don't have too many power failures! Maybe Mother Nature can cut us some slack because once it gets too hot in my house and you can't put on the air conditioner, it feels like the world is ending.  I use battery operated hand held fans, and I try not to let my inner diva come out, but no one especially when you are in pain wants to be in a hot, humid, powerless house!




9. Ticks, Mosquitoes, and Bees, Oh My!
Well it's that time of year again when the ticks are out on the prowl!  When you have Chronic Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases, the LAST thing you need is to be bitten by another tick! You try not to become paranoid but at times when you see a small bug you can't help but think TICK!  In order to avoid being bit by a tick, here are some tips you can follow! Be sure to read this article from the Huffington Post! I would also suggest an all natural deer tick repellent that is Deet free, such as Botanical Solutions Tick Guard No Deet Tick Repellent Spray.

Besides ticks, there's annoying mosquitoes and bees! Enough with the insects that bite already! Can't we just be left alone! I highly suggest wearing some type of all-natural mosquito repellent like Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent.



10. Your backyard neighbors are having a BBQ and blasting music
Summer is about having BBQs with family and friends and enjoying the warm weather.  However, NOTHING is worse than when your neighbor is having people over and decides to blast music. Since I am sensitive to sound, (thanks Lyme!), when the music is played, I can literally have a dance party in my room and recite the lyrics.  I normally wouldn't mind the music, but I feel the vibrations throughout my body.  Usually, these little shindigs occur around July 4, but of course any day is fair game on the weekend, especially when the weather is nice!



2 comments:

  1. I relate to almost all of these except for the swimming one. I'm so thankful I can get out there and swim--so good for my joints! It's really the only exercise I can do.

    Here in NC, it's been so humid. Everyone is all, "Why don't you just go outside for a bit, it might make you feel better." NO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, fever, hepatitis A.B.C., syphilis, diarrhea, HIV/AIDS, Huntington's Disease, back acne, Chronic renal failure, addison disease, Chronic Pain, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumour, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disk Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorder, Eczema, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease. and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete